Unfortunately frequent telemarketer calls have forced me remove my contact phone number from this site.
About Kristofferson Tutoring
Kristofferson Tutoring is based in San Mateo, CA. David Kristofferson ("Dr. K") is a former Peace Corps physics and math teacher (algebra through calculus) who went on to a career in scientific research, scientific software, information technology, and biotech. He returned to teaching in late 2009 to answer the call for qualified science and math teachers and to help our young people prepare for the challenges that face them in a global economy. Dr. K will provide tutoring assistance either in your home or at a public library (due to the COVID pandemic all tutoring is currently provided online only).
- MBA, UC Berkeley
- Postdoctoral research in biophysics and cell biology at UC San Francisco
- Ph.D. Chemistry (biochemistry), UC Santa Barbara
- B.A. Chemical Physics, UC San Diego
- Math & Environmental Science teacher at George Washington HS in San Francisco
- Physics teacher at Junipero Serra High School and substitute for math and science at all schools in the San Mateo Union High School District (SMUHSD)
- Peace Corps teacher in physics & math (algebra through calculus)
- Chemistry teaching assistant at UC Santa Barbara
- Physics teaching assistant at UC San Diego
- CA Certified in physics and math
- Also passed CSET exams to teach chemistry and biology
- Managed the GenBank National DNA Sequence Databank and the BIONET National Computer Resource for Molecular Biology Computing.
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Information Science and Computing.
-IT Manager/Director at Raven and Eos biotechnology companies
The success of my daughters is one of my best tutoring testimonials. Both went to Aragon HS in San Mateo (yes, I still believe in public education!).
Karen graduated in mechanical engineering from UC Santa Barbara and has worked for General Electric and now Siemens. She has also completed an engineering masters degree in Energy Systems from Northeastern University.
Amy was a valedictorian at Aragon HS. She graduated Phi Beta Kappa from UC Berkeley in Molecular and Cellular Biology and has worked at several startups. She is currently a product manager at Healthline.com, a leading health website.
Note: I have passed five DOJ employment background checks for the California Commision on Teacher Credentialing, the San Mateo Union HSD, the Archdiocese of SF, and the San Francisco Unified School District.
"Mr. Kristofferson began tutoring me in precalculus my sophomore year when I had a C and little confidence in my math abilities. He has taken me through Calculus BC, has aided me in getting solid A's in my Calculus courses, and has shown me that I can in fact succeed in math. Mr. Kristofferson is as knowledgeable, kindhearted, and passionate as they come, and I recommend him wholeheartedly."
- Caroline M., now at Cornell University
"Mr. Kristofferson has tutored our son in Math and Chemistry throughout his Junior year at Aragon . It has made a tremendous difference in our son's grades. Mr. Kristofferson is very passionate about the subjects and genuinely cares about his students.
He made sure he addressed all questions and showed our son how to solve them. We would highly recommend seeking his help if your student has academic difficulties."
- Annette L. , San Mateo
"Dave has a way of explaining concepts in a clear and concise manner. My son was struggling in Pre-Calculus, after regular sessions with Dave, his quiz/test scores improved. I would highly recommend Dave."
- Noreen H., San Mateo
"David is a true professional and a delight to work with. He's a good teacher, flexible, scrupulously honest and genuinely interested in my teen's improvement."
- Carla C., San Mateo.
David "has often spoken to me of his desire to give back, and ... teach at the high school level where teachers have the potential to have the greatest influence on young people. David's lesson plans reflect this passion as they are chock full of meaningful connections to "the real world" and careers in science, more than any other math teacher I have ever come across."
- Ms. Jean Nanjo, Math Department Head, George Washington HS, San Francisco
"David Kristofferson has been a great colleague of mine for the teaching of physics this past academic year. I have taught physics for 22 years. Working with David was a breath of fresh air for me."
- Mr. Eric Plett, Physics Teacher, Junipero Serra High School